Saturday 9 December 2006

New Beginnings

I don’t know how old I was when I started to stitch. I don’t know who taught me. As far as I know, I was born with a needle in my hand. It is simply something that I have always done. I don't do it exceptionally well but I love doing it. I’ve made clothes, I’ve knitted jumpers (very badly) and I’ve crocheted cushion covers. I have done many things that involve needles and thread but most of all, I’ve embroidered.

To me, anything that makes a decorative stitch is embroidery. Over the years, I’ve tried my hand at many techniques and I haven’t found one yet that I haven’t enjoyed. I learned by following the instructions in kits, or designs printed in magazines. I do tend to flit from one thing to another, which makes me a Jack of many trades and Master of none. Sewing is my hobby; I do it because I like it and I find it relaxing.

In 2000, I joined a local branch of the Embroiderer’s Guild. Among other branch members and speakers I’ve met many talented and creative needlewomen. From them, and at workshops I’ve attended, I have learned a great deal and have been inspired to explore textile art. I am a wannabe textile artist.

Nearly everything I have done in the past, I have given away and I have not kept any record of it. This blog is primarily a place for me to record what I am working on and perhaps thoughts and ideas for future projects. It is also a place for me to share my work with those who, like me, enjoy seeing what other embroiderers are working on. I am a very slow worker, and don’t get to stitch every day, so I won’t be posting on a daily basis. If I manage to post weekly, I will surprise myself.

Happy stitching, Carol-Anne

No comments: