Tuesday 19 June 2007

Transferring the design, completed

It seems to have taken me for ever, but I have finally finished transferring the design to the silk back ground. I really do not like preparation. I find it tedious and I want to get on with the "real" embroidery. However, this is the first time I have ever transferred a design by stitch and although it was really tedious, for once I think it was an important part of the process. While meticulously stitching along every line of the design I have had time to consider and contemplate how each element could be approached and I have come up with several ideas for each butterfly.

I have scanned the original design and printed out sheets of each butterfly to try out some of my thoughts before I begin stitching.

In Japanese embroidery, you stitch from top to bottom and from left to right. This is a practical approach, as you stitch with your right hand on top and your left hand below. Stitching top to bottom, left to right avoids your top (right) hand brushing against the completed embroidery and spoiling it.

Following these rules, I will start with either the butterfly that represents my Dad or the butterfly that represents my second brother. I think I will start with my second brother. This is the butterfly that I have the clearest idea of. I always joked that he was the "blue eyed boy", and blue is my Mum's favourite colour. His butterfly will be stitched in two shades of blue and will include black from my Dad's butterfly and Silver from my Mum's butterfly.

Here are the designs that I roughed out on paper. The silver looks like a pale lilac on these scans.



I may modify things whilst stitching, but this has helped me to form a basic idea of how the butterfly will be stitched.

Happy Stitching

No comments: