Tuesday 5 February 2008

Chrysanthemum - 4

I had a little unexpected stitching time this morning. Only an hour but it was just enough to complete the final two petals on this chrysanthemum.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

In terms of stitching time, this is the largest motif on this design and, although I have enjoyed stitching it, I am ready to move on. There are 25 petals but because every one is padded and most have two layers of padding, it is like stitching 60 petals, and these chrysanthemum petals are what I find most challenging to stitch.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Ouch! I don’t know if it is such a good idea to use the super macro feature on my cameral, it shows the faults in too much detail. I can see that the angle of the stitches is wrong on many of the petals; the outline has completely missed the marked line in places and the shape of some of the petals is not good.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

On the other hand! Some of this is pleasing. I like the shape of the petals; the one point open space between the petals is fairly consistent and I am pleased with the twist on the thread. Don’t you just love the way the light plays of the silk and how it changes colour even though the same shade has been used throughout (I can’t take credit for that bit).

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Compare the left hand side to the centre, which I stitched several months ago, and I think I can see definite improvement in my work. That pleases me!

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

Deepa said...

Carol,
The chrysanthemum has come out very well.And yes,the difference between left side and right side is so obvious,but only to someone who would be looking at it microscopically.You were good earlier,now you are better :)

MargB said...

Your Japanese embroidery just blows me away Carol

Heidi Kaisand said...

These are beautiful. If only I had the time to try this. I love embroidery and hand-work in general.

Anonymous said...

You're doing a nice work!
You should have come to Paris last week there was a show of japanese embroidery (nui do) and it was wonderfull!