Tuesday 12 February 2008

Of Roses and Thumbs

The nice man at the garden centre gave me half a dozen long-stemmed roses I had admired while he was extracting a large sum of money from my credit card ...


... for seven 5 ft yew trees I had just ordered for the next phase of our yew hedge ...


... which we are gradually planting to replace the rotten white fence along the side of our garden.


So that we can plant the trees as soon as they arrive, next weekend, we have dug the trench ...


... and started to remove the large lumps of concrete around the fence post.

While J swung a large sledge hammer at said lump of concrete, I supported the fence at a safe distance from said hammer. Unfortunately, the hammer caught on a branch an tore it from the lilac tree ...


... that fell directly onto my hand, crushing it between the branch and the fence post I was supporting ...


... which is why I am typing this with one hand :(

7 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

Ouch! Well, at least it wasn't the axe that got you, but hope it's better soon!

MargB said...

Ouch from me too - hopefully it will heal soon and you can continue your interesting persian flower and other silk embroidery!

Jeanne said...

I hate to repeat the other comments, but Ouch! At least you received a lovely half-dozen roses to admire in the bargain. :-)

Deepa said...

Goodness!! don't go near the fence for a few days.Hope your hand gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Being a lefty it is rare for me to say I hope you are right handed. :-) I love your work and would hate to see you handicapped by a permanent hand injury. Keep blogging and let us know you are alright.
Bonfieldjane

Terri Stegmiller said...

Hi Carol-Anne! Your needlework is simply stunning...and the butterflies you've done are so beautiful. Hope your hand heals really soon.

Anonymous said...

Hope your thumb feels better soon and give you time to do some stitching before you go away. Happy stitching love Sue XX