Tuesday 5 August 2008

Another Place

I didn’t do any stitching at the weekend; instead I was having a fab time in Liverpool.


We went to see the Brouhaha Street Carnival that was part of the European Capital of Culture events. As well as the colourful carnival that we expected to see on Saturday afternoon, by pure chance we were in China town at the right time to see the Samba Carnival that we did not know was taking place.



On Sunday, before heading for home we made a small diversion to visit Antony Gormley’s 'Another Place'. I’ve wanted to see this for as long as I’ve known about it and I wasn’t disappointed. 100 cast iron statues of the artist gaze out to sea along a 3-kilometre stretch of beach. Some are nearly 1 kilometre out to sea and spend much of their time under water; others are high up the beach and are only fully submerged during the highest tides. When made, the statues were identical but time, tide and weather have affected each in a unique way. The tide was fairly high and rising while we were there so I did not get to see the sea life that has made its home on some of the statues. Man has contributed his mark with the inevitable graffiti on some and the addition of a swimsuit for one statue and a dress for another.



All in all a such a good weekend, I didn't even miss my stitching!

3 comments:

potsy said...

Hello

Christine said...

Thanks for posting about 'Another Place'. Along with sharing your love of Jap Embr, I'm also a fan of outdoor sculpture. This looks beautiful.

KV said...

Thank you for the tour via your wonderful photos!


Kathy V in NM