Thursday 16 June 2011

Random Long and Short Stitch

Still not done with LSS! Breaking the stitch down, analysing it and stitching samples is really helping me to understand the technique. Both the versions I have looked at so far are very regular and consistent. I can rationalise that. What I am struggling to get to grips with is working with stitches that vary in length and are arranged randomly.

For my stitched sample, I began in the same way as the two previous samples, although most of the instructions I read suggested that the stitches in the foundation row should vary in length (that was just too much for me to cope with!)


I worked subsequent rows in the same way I worked nagamijika-sashinui except that I varied the start position of each stitch. All of the stitches are roughly the same length (approx 10mm).


I repeated this row on row, varying the start position each time so that I did not end up with a bargello effect.




There is something not quite right about this. I feel another sample coming on!


Happy Stitching

2 comments:

MeganH said...

I was wondering whether same length L&S stitches in the first row was a particularly Japanese technique.

I've been through all my books on L&S stitch in the past, and gone crazy, with the various variants.

I wrote a post about it in my blog, comparing what different books said, but I can't find it, drat it.

It certainly is confusing, isn't it!

May I suggest that your cream bottom layer has stitches that are a little too long? Reach up to the first layer in a few instances. And it stands out a lot because it's such a lighter colour. Blending quite different hues is always a bugger (but I'm talking to the initiated here - I'm just having a L&S stitch Babble :-)

Rachel said...

Creating a truly random effect is very difficult. Humans are great at pattern-spotting, and also at pattern-creation. I'm afraid it just takes practise...