Wednesday 3 October 2012

Ladder Stitch

I practiced ladder stitch on the doodle cloth in #371 gold wire and found it rather difficult. The sides of my stitch were irregular and uneven. I should have practiced some more but did not want to waste the gold thread so went ahead and worked the stitch on my sampler.

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

This attempt was even worse than my practice stitch. I will certainly redo this stitch at some point.

Ladder Stitch
© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

The ladder stitch foundation for the first variation was going a little better and I was beginning to understand what I was doing wrong. This is where doing a class with a tutor in the room wins out over an on-line course. A tutor would have told me what I was doing wrong rather than me having to figure it out for myself! I realised I was making the 'rungs' too tight; they need a little slack which will be taken up by the 'wrap' at either end of the stitch.

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Rachel said...

The advantage of figuring it out for yourself, though, is that you won't forget it! You'll get plenty of practice, too, as a good many of the more complex stitches are worked on a Ladder Stitch foundation.