Monday 10 March 2014

Sowing the Seeds

Seeding the back ground was the last thing I did on side one. I would have liked to do that first on side two but in Japanese embroidery you always work the foreground first. I needed to complete enough of each motif to establish their boundaries before starting on the back ground.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The first time I did a seeded background the random aspect of seed stitch freaked me out but I have come to enjoy this technique and find it quite relaxing now.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The seeding took 6 hours and 45 minutes.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

Rachel said...

A random seeded background is probably one of the hardest things to do, so I'm not surprised you were a bit freaked out the first time. I know I keen seeing patterns in what I'm doing and wondering whether they are real or figment of an overheated imagination!

Unknown said...

This is an amazing embroidery and I believe very time consuming and hard to do.

Cath said...

The background certainly brings the feathers to life. It's looking good. It's interesting you wanted to work in a different order once you knew what you wanted to do.

Wendy said...

I'm really enjoying this come together, it's looking beautiful